Friday, August 30, 2019

swearing it all off

I lost ten kilos in 2017, going from 126 kg (278 lbs.) to 116 kg (256 lbs.) over the course of 26 days on the path. While I walked, I was burning 5000-6000 calories per day, so I ate pretty much whatever I wanted, and what I wanted was bad-for-you food. My time in France last year, however, taught me that I can lose weight at a far faster rate if I eat and drink better. When I was in France for two weeks last year, I walked nearly every day, ate only a single meal a day for most of that time (with no random snacking at all), and when I did eat, it was only good, balanced, homemade, family-style food, not the crap I'd normally eat (e.g., fast food, fried pork cutlets, etc.). Result: I lost six kilos in only two weeks.

So I'm thinking that, if I followed "the French regimen," so to speak, I could lose closer to fifteen or twenty kilos on the upcoming walk. This will mean sticking to water, and/or sugarless teas, as my main source of fluids, and it'll also mean eating decent Korean food at regular Korean restaurants as opposed to buying sandwiches, chips, candy, and kimbap rolls from the local convenience store. I'll be honest: it's not a pleasant prospect to swear off sodas, fruit juices, candy, fast food, and junk food: I love these things and am probably addicted to them. But if I could do it in France, I can do it for this upcoming walk.



2 comments:

  1. Yeah, the diet part is huge. Since I've retired I've lost a lot of self-discipline. Eat ice cream every night before bed type of thing, and carbs with most meals now. I think the key might be for you to have some balance--total denial of what you crave is hard to maintain. But if you used it as a reward occasionally (like after a particularly grueling day) it should work out. One meal a day is like that intermittent fasting program that seems to be quite effective. I'm not sure what meal that should be. If I have a good breakfast I can usually make it through the day, but need a nighttime meal. I'm sure you'll find the right balance. Good luck!

    And oh yeah, let me wish you a happy birthday here as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the insights, advice, and birthday wishes! Much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete

COMMENTS ARE TO BE CIVIL, SUCCINCT, AND RELEVANT.
ANONYMOUS COMMENTS WILL BE DELETED.

POPULAR POSTS