Wednesday, September 11, 2019

change in plans

As everyone knows because I keep rattling on about it, I'm very close to finally paying down the last of my scholastic debt. Just a few more massive dumps of several thousand dollars each, and I'll be free of scholastic debt by the middle or the end of next spring. This means I'm in penny-pinching mode, and that affects how I'm thinking about the upcoming walk, which is going to be a bit of a strain on my US credit card and my Korean bank account. I learned last time around that having a good bit of cash in your wallet is advisable when you're out in bumfuck-nowhere, and you step into a grungy little store that only accepts cash. So you need cash in your wallet, but you also need money in your Korean bank account for small motels that don't take international credit cards, and you need your US credit card if you find yourself having to stay in a larger hotel (as happened when I was in the Suanbo area in 2017).

I only recently mentioned my plan to walk out to Yangpyeong and back as a way to test pain levels and my new backpack, but I've decided to save money by trying a different route and doing only two days' walking instead of four. So on Friday and Saturday, I'll walk down to Bundang and back twice. Bundang lies to the south of Seoul; it's close enough to be connected to Seoul by at least two subway lines. I can follow the Tan Creek trail southward to my U-turn point, which is about 18 km from my apartment. Doing two abusive 36-km days in a row will tell me almost everything I need to know about how much pain I can endure. I'll also learn plenty about how my new backpack rides on my back and hips. And since I'll be eating the same way I would be during the actual big walk, I might lose a couple kilos over the weekend as well. Lastly, I'll save money by doing a round-trip path because I can simply sleep in my own nice, comfortable, familiar bed instead of paying to stay at a motel or a hotel.

I also need the extra days off to do a bit of shopping. I'm hoping that the places I need to go will be open on Thursday and Sunday: actual Chuseok is on Friday; some stores close for the entire holiday while others close only on the official day itself, so it's a gamble. Plan B is to visit some places on Monday if they're closed during the holiday.

So Friday and Saturday ought to be pretty exciting. I've never walked this portion of the Tan Creek before. Come to think of it, I'm not sure I've ever been to Bundang before, despite how close to Seoul it is. A coworker tells me that that section of the creek makes for a beautiful walk; I hope he's right.



1 comment:

  1. That ought to work out just as well as a massive weekend trek. As much long distance hiking as you've done you know what to expect. Testing the new backpack and assessing how your feet will hold up are really the only data points you need. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

COMMENTS ARE TO BE CIVIL, SUCCINCT, AND RELEVANT.
ANONYMOUS COMMENTS WILL BE DELETED.

POPULAR POSTS